Family Finds Plane Wreck After Search Called Off

Aircraft Accident & Crash Investigation Topics
Scudrunner
Site Admin

https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/fam ... rs-missed/

A lot of dumb comments on this one calling the SAR techs incompetent. Try finding a white plane in winter in Canada with snow on the ground.......

5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.
TundraTire

Not a great look though, within 5 miles of LKP?
Scudrunner
Site Admin

Ya agreed, but depending on terrain and cover etc. Its a tough slog, for anyone searching.
5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.
mcrit

The ELT did not go off and the initial search was made in darkness over heavily wooded terrain. Bad wx moved in the next day and deposited 30-50 cm of snow which was deep enough to cover the tallest pieces of debris. Without an ELT signal, or X-Ray vision, there is only so much that can be done.

That said, had the crew been able to start even a small fire, or other light source that first night, they likely would have been found.
Squaretail

Spotting things from the air is way harder than people think. Its as much luck as anything else. If one is really worried about having their airplane found should the worst happen, your best bet is for it to be polished metal, since a reflection off a metal surface can be spotted from a lot farther away than any painted surface.

Thee are better sensors than mk 1 eyeballs for finding these things if they were really serious about it.
The details of my life are quite inconsequential...
Nark

AEA47A3E-1CAD-4864-96F7-7178E72A3382.jpeg
Ready to crash anywhere!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
David MacRay

I remember more than one visual target during practice searches that was extremely easy to see once you found it, yet very difficult before.

I suspect you’re right about the polished aluminum.

By far the easiest thing to see during the day is the flash from a signal mirror.
Slick Goodlin

I’ve always found blue tarps are a surprisingly unnatural colour that really stands out in the woods.
Colonel

With ADS-B everywhere, anytime there is a crash, everyone instantly knows exactly how, when and where it happened. I'm not sure you really need much more than that.

eg

2,000 foot descent in 6 seconds is 20,000 FPM? Is that expected below 3,000 MSL in a non-airshow environment?
As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.
Slick Goodlin

Colonel wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 9:54 pm
ADS-B
But I am poor, sir. Also ADS-B presently no bueno in Canuckistan.